tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es>
Subject RE: Re[2]: tomcatAuthentication="false" and getRemoteUser returni ng null in recent versions of Tomcat
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:14:47 GMT
Aleix,

> Ok,
>
>    Sorry about the laguage.

Conoces el chiste del taxista de Nueva york? ;)

>    My Apache version is 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.18. I have a
> servlets path
> with the web.xml file with the authentication configuration
> in this way:

I suppouse you have configured apache to do the security, dont you?

I dont know very well Apache config but i think this is done be tweaking
.htaccess files..

Sorry for the dumbest question, but i must ask first  :)

> But, tomcat asks me for the login!
> My users are authenticated throw Apache, and I want to use this logins
> with my servlets.

Ithink there is a misconception here, to make apache ask for a user and
pass is an apache thing, the only thing tomcatAuthentication does is to
ignore or use any auth done by the Http server at tomcat level, what
this means? You need to config apache first and after that, make tomcat
use it.. Tomcat will not command apache to do any auth based on web.xml
constraints..

If not the case, i think i'll need to see some logs, the access.log from
apache, error.log etc, and the tomcat related ones, not very sure which
tomcat logs contains auth info, but putting debug='99' at the context
level and authenticator in server.xml will help..

Saludos,
Ignacio J. Ortega