tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Moore" <tmo...@blackboard.com>
Subject RE: Single Servlet vs Multiple Servlet
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:19:58 GMT

You should take a look at Struts, which is a framework to do exactly
that.

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/

> The alternative is to make individual command
> servlets that have a common base class and sit on separate URLs.
> The problem with option two is that the servlet connects to
> EJB on the back end and could potentially hold onto allot of
> resources. The problem with option two, possibly, is
> federation. If there are hundreds of requests coming, will
> tomcat federate the servlet or pipe everything through one hole?

Tomcat (and any servlet container, for that matter) will use a single
servlet instance, but multiple threads.  So it can service many requests
at once, but to make your servlet thread-safe, you can't store any
request-specific state in instance variables.  This is true regardless
of which approach you take.

I personally prefer the single-servlet, multiple command class approach.
I use Struts, which takes care of the basics for you.

Phone 202-463-4860 ext. 258 / Fax 202-463-4863