tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Denise Mangano <Deni...@complusdata.com>
Subject SSL cert on Apache not working properly with Tomcat?
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:14:46 GMT
I'm attempting to break down each of my individual problems into separate
posts, hoping that makes it a little easier to address each issue.

This error appears in my catalina.out even though my webapp works properly.
Any suggestions on what would cause this error?  I checked the line
indicated by the error and it is "byte[] certData = certString.getBytes();"
It appears this has to do with my security certificate which is specified in
my httpd.conf file.  Although my app works, I am concerned that this could
mean a security issue and if that is the case then I need to get this
resolved.

SEVERE: Error in action code
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.action(JkCoyoteHandler.java:386)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:222)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.postParseRequest(CoyoteAdapter.java:
310)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:221)
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:261)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:360)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:632)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:590)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:707)
        at
a:530)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

I compared the time I got this message to other logs.  No error messages in
other logs, but this error gets logged at the exact same time that control
leaves apache and I pull up my first page in my tomcat webapp.

Taking the advice provided on a previous post some time back, I have not
made any changes to Tomcat config regarding SSL.  I was told that since I
have SSL configured on Apache, I wouldn't need to make any settings in
Tomcat since it is not a standalone server.  Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Denise