tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <Daniel.T.Hellstr...@telia.se>
Subject SV: Can´t access Tomcat from outside router, help !
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:09:30 GMT
I have registered a dynamic dns (like test.mine.nu), but this is not of value in this case
since I use the ip to when testing.

The router is a D-link 804, which I have configured with open ports on 22, 80 and 8080. And
I have also enabled port-forwarding on these port to the proper computer on the lan.

The computer hosting apache and tomcat is running linux mandrake.

If I portscan this machine from another computer on the lan I can see that port 22, 80 and
8080 (and some other ports) are open.

If I portscan my public ip from outside (ie the internet) I can only see port 22 and 80 (not
8080 even though I have opened the port in the router and anabled port forwarding).

If I try to connect to apache and tomcat from the lan it works fine, I get a repsonse from
both services. If I try to connect to them from the internet I only get a response from apache,
nothing from tomcat, and nothing shows up the the tomcat logs.

/D

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Ralph Einfeldt [mailto:ralph.einfeldt@uptime-isc.de]
Skickat: den 10 januari 2003 14:40
Till: Tomcat Users List
Ämne: RE: Can´t access Tomcat from outside router, help !

Let me summarize what I think what you have done.

As much as I understood you have a domain abc.tld
which has a public IP 1.1.1.1

Internaly the apache and the tomcat server run on
the private IP 2.2.2.2.

You have configured your router (NAT) to map
incoming requests for 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2.

If you access www.abc.tld you get a response from apache.
If you access www.abc.tld:8080 you get an response from
tomcat if the request comes from inside. If the request
comes from the outside you get no response.
(What exacly is the 'outside' that you use to test ?)

Is that correct ?

Do you see something in the logs that indicates that
the request reached tomcat ?

Can you call telnet www.abc.tld 8080 from the outside ?
Do you get a connection ?