tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hari Venkatesan" <hvenkate...@pfgc.com>
Subject RE: Precompiling JSP
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:48:12 GMT
Thanks Reynir,

This was exactly I was looking for. Our Jsp's are loading very slow. We are using JDBC connection
to DB2/400 and our initial database has only about 100000 records. It takes about 7 - 10 seconds
for our JSP's to load.

Hari

-----Original Message-----
From: Reynir Hübner [mailto:reynir@hugsmidjan.is]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 8:28 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Precompiling JSP

Hi,

In my understanding it really only affects performance.

The first request on a jsp always takes longer to execute because at that time it must precompile
the jsp.
If you run a precompiler (such as jspc) on the jsp pages before you start up the server (or
at startup) you will shorten the time of response on the first request of a jsp page.

If you are dealing with performance there are many other things that you might want to look
at.
I recommend the following page as a good material on this matter:
http://www.javaperformancetuning.com/

Hope it helps

reynir@hugsmidjan.is