tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Julius Davies" <juliusdav...@cucbc.com>
Subject RE: difference between apache and tomcat webserver
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:28:18 GMT

krip pane,

> I was under the impression that apache is needed to
> serve the jsp pages - looks like not.

Too many people are under that impression.

> what is the advantage or disadvantage of
> installing/using apache as your webserver and
> installing some connector (i.e. mod_jk) to use with
> tomcat.

Advantages of using apache with tomcat:

- Feels safer when using port < 1024 on linux/unix.
- Works together very well with lots of other web stuff (cgi, perl, php).
- All the extra modules, for example: https.
- Everybody's doin' it.

Notice that I don't include "speed of serving static files and images".  This is because,
frankly, if you're hosting a dynamic web site, static files are the least of your problems.
 Tomcat is just as fast at sending a "304 - Unmodified" response as Apache is, and that's
all that matters.

Disadvantages of using apache with tomcat:

- Much, much harder to get everything working.  As you've discovered, it takes about 2 minutes
to get Tomcat up and running!  You will spend hours, if not days, learning to pair Tomcat
up with Apache.  At least judging from this mailing list.  I've never done it!

yours,

Julius Davies, Programmer, CUCBC
Email: juliusdavies@cucbc.com, Ph: 604.730.6385

The contents of this message are my own personal opinions, and not those of CUCBC.