tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.1.18/19 - How to activate gzip support?
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:52:11 GMT

Note that I tried to implement the filter based on Orions tutorial on
Tomcat-4.1.x and it works, but only for static html.  For dynamic content
when filtering a servlet or JSP, Tomcat won't let me set the headers
necessary for the browser to understand that what I am sending is a GZipped
stream.  For some reason, the GZip filter in the examples webapp that comes
with Tomcat works, but there is so much going on in that one that it is
difficult to understand and it doesn't really report the original size of
the response and the new GZipped size so I'm not actually positive it is
doing anything at all.

I have discussed this at length previously on this list.

See:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=104190254716466&w=2
and
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=104249879415902&w=2

There is source code attached to this message.  You can try it out.  It is
based on the orion filter
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=104251687703102&w=2

If anyone figures out why this isn't working, could you please cc me at
hoju@visi.com.  Thanks.

BTW, the original point of the current email thread was that Remy enabled
GZip natively in Coyote for the Tomcat-4.1.19 release.  The question is,
how do we turn that on?  It would negate the need for the GZip filter,
although I'd still like to know why the filter doesn't work in Tomcat.

Jake