tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Two instances of servlet gets created
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:57:39 GMT

New instances of any servlet will be created for as many times as the
servlet is named differently.  For instance, all these refer to the same
servlet, but each will be a separate instance....

<servlet>
         <servlet-name>MyServletName</servlet-name>
         <servlet-class>com.mypackage.MyServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
         <servlet-name>MyServletName</servlet-name>
         <url-pattern>/mymapping</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

http://localhost:8080/mycontext/mymapping

http://localhost:8080/mycontext/servlet/MyServletName

http://localhost:8080/mycontext/servlet/com.mypackage.MyServlet

What is at issue is the invoker servlet which is mapped to /servlet/* in
Tomcat's conf/web.xml.  It will create these separate servlet
instances.  If you don't like this behavior, then disabled the invoker
servlet....which is disabled by default in recent releases for security
reasons.

Jake