tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Parse error in application web.xml
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:47:02 GMT

Sorry, I failed to look at the original question.  I just noticed that you
were talking about putting stuff in your classpath which, obviously, will
have no effect.

The trouble you are having is not related to any particular version of
Xerces....and if you are using j2sdk14.x, you don't need xercesImpl.jar or
xmlParserAPIs.jar anyway.  You can get rid of them entirely if you want.

The problem is your web.xml is not well formed.  Check it in an editor such
as XMLSpy.  First check that it is well formed (all tags are opened and
closed and properly nested) and then check to see that it is valid (make
sure it obeys the specified DTD).  Tomcat will barf in both cases,
rightfully so, if the web.xml is bad.

BTW, it seems as if you are implying that the problem is with the web.xml
in Tomat's conf folder.  What makes you assume that?  Did you, by chance,
put your own app in the webapps folder?  If so, try removing that and any
other apps that didn't come with Tomcat originally, try starting tomcat,
and see if you get the same error.  I suspect the problem is likely one of
your own apps web.xml's, not a problem with Tomcat.

Jake