tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: forcing a jsp page to reload/refresh when backend data changes
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:55:38 GMT

Hi Jeff --

Once your jsp outputs its data, its job is done and
there is no opportunity for it to update anything.
The only way data can be updated is if the client
requests it, which means you'll have to force the
client to refresh.  If it's a browser, set the
appropriate header or include the correct HTML
tag (I don't know the currently "best" way to do this,
but you specify how often you want to refresh and the
URL to get -- google for "HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh").
This is only an approximation of what you're trying to
do ... if you want live communication between server
and client, you'll need something on the client to
listen to the socket (and applet would work) and act
accordingly.

Hope that's enough to get you going... let me know if
you need more specifics.

justin

At 11:08 AM 1/14/2003, you wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Forgive this very newbie-ish question. If someone
>could point me in the right direction I would
>appreciate it.
>
>Is it possible/feasible to have .jsp page refresh the
>data it's displaying when the data on the backend
>changes? For example if I have a .jsp page that
>queries and displays data from a database, can the
>page be coded to monitor the data and when it changes,
>refresh what is displayed in the user's browser?
>
>I hope the question makes sense.
>
>thanks!
>-jeff

Justin Ruthenbeck