tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Content-Length header set automatically?
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:09:44 GMT

All appservers I've worked with have included the Content-Length header in
all HTTP responses without any specific setting by a developer.  So far as
I know, this is not a spec requirement, though it seems to be common
practice.  Anyone out there know Tomcat's specific behavior on this?  Is
the Content-Length header set on all requests by default?  Is it set only
on certain requests?

I ask because we're using persistent connections with HTTP 1.1 but have a
custom client (non-browser) who requires and accurate Content-Length
header.  My preference would be to have Tomcat handle the setting of the
header, but I'm seeing XML HTTP responses without the header set.

Any thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
justin

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.