tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: Servlet Mapping Strategy w/ user-specific URLs
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:27:57 GMT

At 01:48 PM 1/8/2003, you wrote:
>So you're talking about using the sorts of Filters available as of the
>Servlet 2.3 spec?  That actually sounds promising, I'll take a look at it.

Yep.

>One thing that bothers me about my current plan though is that I feel like
>I'm not making use of some of the functionality potentially provided by
>Apache itself, especially in the area of authentication and access control.
>
>There certainly is some overlap between those services as outlined in the
>Servlet spec, and the functionality provided by Apache itself.  Are there
>any general rules of thumb for when to use
>the services of Apache vs. Tomcat in these areas? Or at least some good
>resources that go into these issues?

I've never used Apache for much of anything besides static content serving
or occasional URL manipulation, so I'm not qualified on the topic.  I would
say, though, that the vast majority of jsp/servlet applications (and hence
the vast majority of people on this list) can fill their funtional needs
efficiently and easily without using Apache's "advanced" services.  I would
personally rather deal with only Tomcat if I had the choice ... and judging
from the difficulties people on this list have with the integration of the
two, I would venture to say that opinion is probably in the majority.

Perhaps someone else has some more complete thoughts for you...

justin