tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Jacobson <marti...@libero.it>
Subject Re: Ant redeploy, Apache (mod_webapp) & Tomcat 4.1
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:06:30 GMT
Morgan Pyne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is anybody on this list using Ant to redeploy war files to
> an Apache(mod_webapp)->Tomcat setup?
>
> I have several servlets already deployed, configured, and working
> correctly on the following setup:
>
> Apache (1.3.26), mod_webapp (machine 1)
> Tomcat 4.1.12 (machine 2)
>
> The redeployment seems to work correctly, but unfortunately when I access
> the URL I am often returned a blank page (no errors) instead of seeing my
> servlet.
>
> Restarting apache cures the problem.
>
> It is occasionally possible (randomly?) to access the new servlet without
> a restart, but mostly not.
>
> The symptoms seem to imply to me that only new WARP connections created
> since the redeployment are able to access the servlet, whereas connections
> that had been existing prior to it get confused and can't see the newly
> redeployed servlet.
>
> Has anybody else noticed this behaviour? Is it a bug in mod_webapp ?

This is what I would expect to happen; AFAIK, mod_webapp, mod_jk etc.
all create socket connections to Tomcat. In order to re-deploy your web
app, Tomcat stops and restarts the context, which closes one end of the
socket. Therefore Apache has to be restarted in order to reconnect to
Tomcat properly.

Martin