tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Erik Price <epr...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Redirect and Tomcat
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:34:39 GMT

Daniel Brown wrote:
> This was news to me too. But, from the horse's mouth:

[...]

> So, in theory, you should generate a 303 response if the request method was
> POST, and the web page you're redirecting to should be retrieved with a GET.
> But in practice, the web browser will do just what you expect it to do if a
> 302 response is received.

Hm... yes, in practice it works (currently that is how my app handles
logins and it works in all browsers AFAIK), but at some point someone
might implement the spec.  I always try to write in compliance of the
spec, so what I'm wondering is how I can specify that the sendRedirect
should use GET instead of the original method, which was POST.  (I seem
to recall reading somewhere that sendRedirect uses the original method.)

Erik