tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Erik Price <epr...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Using SingleThreadModel under tomcat
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:53:59 GMT

Colquhoun, Adrian wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a stateless servlet application in which I am considering
> implementing SingleThreadModel. I note from the archives a number of posts
> which suggest that implementing SingleThreadModel will impose a performance
> overhead when running under tomcat. Could anyone provide me with a
> explanation of how this performance impact comes about and (in relative
> terms) the magnitude of this impact versus the potential impact of using
> synchronisation blocks to ensure thread safe code ?

There is another perspective as to why implementing SingleThreadModel is
a waste of time on this page -- scroll down to near the bottom where
there is an <h3> that says "Don't Use SingleThreadModel" (or search for
that text on the page).

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/excerpt/jebp_3/index1.html?page=4

Erik