tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Mark Balz <ChristopherB...@yahoo.com>
Subject TC 3.3.1 authentication roles - what is going on?
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:19:33 GMT
    It seems that to get good authentication whilst tying one role to
one web app (so only one designated user can use a given designated
webapp), I must assign two roles to the designated user: an arbitary
role, and a role of "deployer", and omit or comment out the role of
"deployer" in web.xml:

     <auth-constraint>
       <role-name>
      dentalExpert0
   </role-name>
     <!-- role-name>
       deployer
     </role-name -->
     </auth-constraint>

In this case, the user "Dr. Alan H" is assigned to be a deployer.
 Authentication does not work well without this.  I tried creating a
dummy deployer, paired with dentalExpert0, but that did not work (it's
commented out below).  At least now, however, I can get good 1-1
authentication.  I am running across two browser frames, and because
document.domain assignments do not seem to mollify the furiously buggy
Tomcat, I have had to submit to requiring the user to log-in twice, once
for each frame.  That is, until I change web servers.  Anyone have any
idea of how to explain TC 3.3.1's curious behavior?

<tomcat-users>
  <user name="root" password="xxxxx"
roles="tomcat,role1,tomcat_admin,tomcat_root" />
  <user name="guest" password="xxxxx" roles="demo_user" />
  <user name="Chris" password="xxxx" roles="deployer" />
  <!-- user name="Chris0" password="xxxx" roles="deployer0" / -->
  <user name="Dr. Alan H" password="xxxxx" roles="dentalExpert0,deployer" />
</tomcat-users>

--
". . . / This Cabinet is formd of Gold / And Pearl & Crystal shining bright
And within it opens into a World / . . .