tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Eaves <...@eaves.org>
Subject Re: [ OT ] what source code control system?
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:58:17 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Despite the fact that it is widely used, the list of problems with CVS is
> long and distinguished.

I'll disagree here. CVS is missing some features that other people
find very desirable in a source control system. This doesn't mean it
has a long list of problems.

The only thing that I'd consider a "problem" with CVS is the lack
of an atomic commit. Having said that, I've been using it for over
10 years, nearly always in client-server mode or remotely tunnelling
over SSH and I have _never_ had a problem.

> Since you can't use SourceSafe, I would recommend
> that you look at Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org).  Subversion is
> self-hosting, works with database and apache, has an API, and there is a GUI
> interface (http://rapidsvn.tigris.org).
>
> Subversion uses WebDAV, and there is even a Wiki using Subversion.
>
> If you were in a corporate environment, perhaps Subversion might not be
> ready for you (but then again, you could afford SourceSafe), but in your
> environment you might like the possibilities in Subversion.  There is always
> CVS if you need it, and don't mind the problems (like the inability to
> rename something).

Renaming things is trivial, just get the administrator to rename it
for you.  mv $CVSROOT/src/foo.java,v $CVSROOT/src/bar.java,v. Or if
you don't care about losing your log history, then just delete and
add it.

Sure, it's not the most user friendly approach, but it can be done.

I'm a big, big fan of CVS, it's very stable and it's been used in
technical teams and I've also taught graphic designers to use it.
Throughout that time, I've never had an issue with files being
corrupted, magically deleted or anything else.

Cheers,
	-- jon

--
Jon Eaves <jon@eaves.org>