tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Erik Price <epr...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: dispatcher.forward(), but with new URL
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:42:38 GMT

Paul Yunusov wrote:

> sendRedirect() in HttpServletResponse will send an HTTP redirect response to
> the client so the client's browser itself makes a new request to the new URL
> (main.jsp in your case). It results in the new URL being shown in the
> browser's address field.

Paul, this is exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you.  My only fear
is that if the client User Agent doesn't respect the HTTP Redirect (say
it is a malicious Perl script or something), does the servlet know not
to transmit any further data?  Or should I manually call System.exit()
after the response.sendRedirect() call?

> Note that the original request's parameters, which were sent to the servlet,
> are lost but check the sendRedirect()'s documentation for more details.

That is okay, I will be storing data in the session in the LoginServlet
so the original parameters can be dropped.  Thank you very much again.

Erik