tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lajos Moczar <>
Subject Re: Problems Starting Server
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:10:39 GMT
Scott -

You need to type "catalina start" or "catalina run". The latter runs in
the foreground, so you get to see all the error message. The former
opens a new console window, which, you there are startup errors, will
disappear after Tomcat exits and you'll never see the errors.

Scott Purcell wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a new box that I am configuring.
> I installed java jdk1.3.1_06 and set JAVA_HOME to C:\jdk1.3.1_06. and set the path to
its existance. I can call java or javac and all is happy.
> Then I downloaded jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6 on D:\
> I unzipped the application and set my path to its lib. When I tried to startup.bat it
begins to run, then falters. I can see that it found the java_home, etc, but then the console
just quits.
> I then added a CATALINA_HOME which points to the jakarta-tomcat/bin (according to the
docs) and tried to launch the product. At that point the black cmd window does not show up.
> I am administrator of the win 2000 box. I looked in all the logs, but I see no errors.
I tried to  startup and write the STDERR to a file, but it failed also.