tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Holman <j.g.hol...@qmul.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Solaris Authentication
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:57:49 GMT
If the Solaris usernames and passwords are held in an LDAP directory you
should be able to use the JNDI Realm. You would need to supplement the
Solaris user info with role information in the same directory.

I don't know of a documented method for connecting to other approaches
(e.g. local files (/etc/password + /etc/shadow, NIS, etc). In some cases
it *might* be possible to use the JAAS realm with a suitable security
provider, or you could write your own Tomcat realm. Using local files is
likely to be difficult because Tomcat should not be run as root for
security reasons, yet you need to be root to access /etc/shadow.

John

Khadbai, Abdul (ANTS) wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any way that tomcat can hook into the solaris user names and
> passwords rather than creating a new database with
> passwords and usernames i.e in a way which weblogic can use NT
> authentication ?
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Abdul Khadbai

>This communication (including any attachments) contains confidential information.  If
you are not the intended recipient and you have received this communication in error, you
should destroy it without copying, disclosing or otherwise using its contents.  Please notify
the sender immediately of the error.

>Internet communications are not necessarily secure and may be intercepted or changed after
they are sent.  Abbey National Treasury Services plc does not accept liability for any loss
you may suffer as a result of interception or any liability for such changes.  If you wish
to confirm the origin or content of this communication, please contact the sender by using
an alternative means of communication.

>This communication does not create or modify any contract and, unless otherwise stated,
is not intended to be contractually binding.

>Abbey National Treasury Services plc. Registered Office:  Abbey National House, 2 Triton
Square, Regents Place, London NW1 3AN.  Registered in England under Company Registration Number:
2338548.  Regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).