tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Shraibman <...@selectacast.net>
Subject Re: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 20:57:46 GMT
Turner, John wrote:

> Tomcat has an Alias element in server.xml.  It goes under <Host>.

OK thanks for pointing that out.

>>>Tomcat needs to do what it needs to do because a web app is
>>
>>more than just a
>>
>>>directory that has content in it.
>>>

>>Right, but sometimes you might want to lump multiple things into one
>>webapp.
>

> Sorry, I have no idea what that means.

Somtimes you want a.host.com and b.host.com to be in the same webapp

>>Which is my point.  Using auto-deply is not the same thing as simply
>>creating a directory and putting files in it. Apache has the dynamic
>>virtual host feature for a reason.  Using auto-deply requires
>>that all
>>your content be under directories, which doesn't look as nice
>>as having a
>>hostname.  name.host.com is better than host.com/name
>

> You can have name.host.com.  I just don't understand why you think you can't
> do that.  Tomcat's <Host> element can take ANYTHING as its "name" parameter
> (within reason) and the <Host> element can take an <Alias> element.
>
> Nowhere in Tomcat is a rule that says "host.com/name" is the only legal URL.
> You can have "name.host.com" all you like, you just configure <Host>
> accordingly and put the webapp in the special ROOT Context and your webapp
> is served as name.host.com/.  How is that not what you want?
>
> My point is that a webapp is not "just a directory with some files in it".
> There's a lot more to a webapp then that, and thus, there is more that
> Tomcat has to do and more configuration overhead required or possible
> (Realms, etc).  You can auto-deploy a Context.

How?  If I want to add a new Context don't I have to restart tomcat to reread the
server.xml file.

> Scroll down to the section that says "automatic application deployment" and
> the following section on "host name aliases".  Basically, for a "dynamic
> virtual host", since you're going to need a restart anyway (see Craig's
> comments on possible future ability to pick up config changes on-the-fly
> without a restart):
That's my point. In apache it doesn't need a restart.

> - add a new Host element to server.xml with one or more Alias
> - drop an XML file into the appBase directory, according to the auto deploy
> specs to auto-define your web app
>
> Since you have a restart, a new mod_jk.conf file is generated, and it will
> have the new Host information in it.

I gave up on autogeneration.

> Even so, you wouldn't WANT a restart, because having a monolithic Tomcat
> with many many virtual hosts and webapps in it is the wrong way to go in an
> ISP/ASP scenario (in my opinion).

This isn't that scenario, but we do have multiple webapps and hosts.

  So, if you agree with that, then what
> you're really talking about is a small shell script that simply copies the
> default server.xml to server-customer-account.xml, creates a
> work-customer-account directory, and does all of the other things required
> to have a distinct instance of Tomcat running (including the Host and web
> app config listed above), and then does a start on the new Tomcat.

Distinct tomcat? That would mean a different port for each tomcat, plus the overhead (90
megs of memory on my test machine)

> Maybe I'm just a tree stump, but I haven't seen you propose a case that
> can't be handled.

The case where tomcat works with my Apache dynamic virtual hosts. Apache doesn't *need*
dynamic virtual hosts either, you could just use a lost of virtual hosts. It would be nice

if tomcat supported the same thing.