tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Trevor Porter <tre...@woz.com>
Subject Why a JNDI URL from getServletConfig().getResource() in Tomcat
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:33:56 GMT
I'm trying to read in a configuration file I have stored in my /WEB-INF
directory from my servlet init() using
getServletConfig().getResource(...) as follows:

public void init() throws ServletException
{

    String config = getServletConfig().getInitParameter("config");
    URL url = getServletContext().getResource(config);
}

If I set the config init parameter to something like this (the
/WEB-INF/test.xml file does exist):

    <init-param>
      <param-name>config</param-name>
      <param-value>/WEB-INF/test.xml</param-value>
    </init-param>

I get back the following jndi URL from getResource():

   jndi:/localhost/sandbox/WEB-INF/test.xml

The same code running under resin returns a file URL as I would expect.
The problem is that if I replace the getResource() call with a
getResourceAsStream() under tomcat, the input stream will be empty.  Can
anyone out there explain this behavior and how to work around it?