tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Shraibman <...@selectacast.net>
Subject Re: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 21:49:25 GMT
Turner, John wrote:
> Hmmm...you lost me there.  Yes, you do map to a Context directly, at least
> you do with JK.  That's exactly what having a JK block for "/examples",
> does, for example.  With Apaches 'apachectl restart' or 'apachectl graceful'
> you can pick up both new virtual hosts and new JkMounts for those virtual
> hosts.
>
> On the Apache side, what more does there need to be?

That means that all myhost.com/examples can be passed to tomcat, who looks at
myhost.com/examples and does its own mapping to find the right context.  It doesn't mean
that you can map myhost.com/some/arbirtray/path to the examples webapp (unless you also
change the tomcat config) and it doesn't mean you can map a.myhost.com to /examples/a and

b.myhost.com to /examples/b and it doesn't mean you can map *.myhost.com to /examples/%0
where %0 is what is in *.  Or not as far as I can tell, anyway. JServ is much more
flexible in this regard.

On another note I've totally given up on the apache autoconfiguration because of its
inconsistant behavior.