tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mysterious parse exception on startup
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:26:19 GMT
Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> If I put the latest xerces and xalan in tomcat/common/endorsed, I get
> the following error on startup. I don't get this with the xerces/xalan
> that comes with jdk 1.4.1.  What is causing this?  What *file* is this?
>
> Starting service Tomcat-Apache
> Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14
> Parse Fatal Error at line 551 column 44: The string "--" is not
> permitted within comments.
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The string "--" is not permitted within
> comments.
>     at
> org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown
> Source)

It's a know problem with recent versions of Xerces and Struts 1.0. It is
a Xerces bug (which gies a confusing error message).

To fix it, you can:
- use the JDK 1.4 parser
- use the Xerces release bundled with Tomcat 4.1.18
- upgrade to Struts 1.1 beta 3 (the XML is different, and doesn't
trigger the Xerces bug)

Remy