tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Cox, Charlie" <c...@cincom.com>
Subject RE: Two instances of servlet gets created
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:03:36 GMT

This is correct.

> But if I have another application deployed in different
> context and sending
> a request to my servlet, then, there is new instance of servlet gets
> created.

This is also correct. Each context is loading your servlet into its own
classloader, so it doesn't know about the other web apps(context)'s classes.
You can move your common functionality(singleton,etc) into its own class,
which you can put in /common/lib (or /common/classes) where it will only be
loaded once and shared for all web apps.

you may want to review the classloading document:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Charlie