tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what is catalina?..
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:55:31 GMT

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Bill Barker wrote:

> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:44:14 -0800
> From: Bill Barker <wbarker@wilshire.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: what is catalina?..
>
> Catalina is also the name of a small island off the coast of southern
> California.  I, personally, have no idea why this was chosen as a package
> name (I haven't been hanging out here that long).  Especially since the
> principal author doesn't live in So. CA.

Bill's right about "Jakarta".  Using "Catalina" was my idea, because I
wrote most of the original code that became it.  The reasons are mundane,
but here they are for the record:

* Even though I don't live in Southern CA, I've always liked
  what I've read and seen of Catalina Island.

* One of the towns on the island is Avalon, and we were (at the
  beginning) considering using the Avalon Framework
  (http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/) for the internal architecture.
  It would have been a cute tie-in, but alas it didn't happen
  that way.

* When I'm coding, I regularly have one or more cats wandering
  around my lap and adding to the whitespace when they don't
  think I put enough (you don't need fingers to press the space bar :-).

Another "code name" you'll hear in the Tomcat world is Jasper -- that's
the name of the JSP page compiler part of Tomcat.  That name was carried
over from even before my time, but I'm sure it probabbly came from the
alliteration (JaSPer).

Craig McClanahan