tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gulay Top <gulay_...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Memory requirements
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:45:11 GMT

Thank you Yoav,
Can I make it so that only one thread runs at a time. When I check the system monitor, I see
this
java(30)   834000k
is this the total memory I'm using?

 "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com> wrote:Howdy,
We should have an acronym like STFA (= Search ... Archives) along the
lines of RTFM.

On linux, the top command displays every java thread as a separate line
item. There are not 27-35 instances of java, only one instance, one
JVM, with 27-35 threads. All these threads are sharing one heap, and
all of them together use as much memory as top shows for only one of
them.

So if you have 27-35, let's say 31 for the average, processes and you're
getting 1GB total, that means top is showing about 32MB of memory for
each "process", which means that the whole JVM (all of tomcat) is using
about 32MB of memory, not 1GB.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

GB of
>memory. When I shutdown Tomcat, it goes away. Please help.
>Thank you in advance.
> Lajos wrote:Gulay -
>
>It entirely depends on what your webapps use. Tomcat by itself can run
>fairly lean - say 20-60 MB of memory. But if your webapp is a hog, like
>say Cocoon ;), you'll need a bunch of memory.
>
>Regards,
>
>Lajos
>

>Gulay Top wrote:
>>
>> I like to know how much memory does Tomcat 4.1 needs. When I use it
it is
>talking up between 1 to 2 GB of memory. What can I do to reduce this.
What