tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: tomcat authtentication
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:24:57 GMT

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, mike danese wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:56:31 -0800
> From: mike danese <>
> Subject: tomcat authtentication
> Trying to get a handle on how tomcat &or tomcat-manager interact w/ InternetExplorer
usr/passwd dialog box.
> I know that setting tomcat/catalina/server xml config files can invoke the IE usr/pswd
dialog box, but how
> is the underlying code acomplishing it.  Docs on apache/jakarta say "fix-me' on this
> Could anyone give an example of how to popup an IE/mozilla usr/pswd dialog from a jsp
or a bean??

Presuming that you've used BASIC as your <login-method>, this will do the

which is pretty much what Tomcat's authenticator does if you ask for a
protected resource and have not logged in yet.

For more information on how basic authentication works, see:

> thanksk md

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message