tomcat-users mailing list archives

From vim m <vim6662...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: A follow-up of my last post
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:25:41 GMT
Take a look at this web page.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/appdev/deployment.html

There is a sample web.xml file given here. You will do
well do read that. In the web.xml file it does state
that servlets can be called without making an entry in
the web.xml file by using -
http://host/context-path/servlet/classname.
But I have not tried it so far. The doc also says that
this method is not portable. Have pasted the web.xml
file below:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.3//EN"

<web-app>

    <!-- General description of your web application
-->

    <display-name>My Web Application</display-name>
    <description>
      This is version X.X of an application to perform
      a wild and wonderful task, based on servlets and
      JSP pages.  It was written by Dave Developer
      (dave@mycompany.com), who should be contacted
for
      more information.
    </description>

    <!-- Context initialization parameters that define
shared
         String constants used within your
application, which
         can be customized by the system administrator
who is
         installing your application.  The values
actually
         assigned to these parameters can be retrieved
in a
         servlet or JSP page by calling:

             String value =

getServletContext().getInitParameter("name");

         where "name" matches the <param-name> element
of
         one of these initialization parameters.

         You can define any number of context
initialization
         parameters, including zero.
    -->

    <context-param>
      <param-name>webmaster</param-name>

<param-value>myaddress@mycompany.com</param-value>
      <description>
        The EMAIL address of the administrator to whom
questions
        and comments about this application should be
addressed.
      </description>
    </context-param>

    <!-- Servlet definitions for the servlets that
make up
         your web application, including
initialization
         parameters.  With Tomcat, you can also send
requests
         to servlets not listed here with a request
like this:

http://localhost:8080/{context-path}/servlet/{classname}

         but this usage is not guaranteed to be
portable.  It also
         makes relative references to images and other
resources
         required by your servlet more complicated, so
defining
         all of your servlets (and defining a mapping
to them with
         a servlet-mapping element) is recommended.

         Servlet initialization parameters can be
retrieved in a
         servlet or JSP page by calling:

             String value =

getServletConfig().getInitParameter("name");

         where "name" matches the <param-name> element
of
         one of these initialization parameters.

         You can define any number of servlets,
including zero.
    -->

    <servlet>
      <servlet-name>controller</servlet-name>
      <description>
        This servlet plays the "controller" role in
the MVC architecture
        used in this application.  It is generally
mapped to the ".do"
        filename extension with a <servlet-mapping>
element, and all form
        submits in the app will be submitted to a
request URI like
        "saveCustomer.do", which will therefore be
mapped to this servlet.

        The initialization parameter namess for this
servlet are the
        "servlet path" that will be received by this
servlet (after the
        filename extension is removed).  The
corresponding value is the
        name of the action class that will be used to
process this request.
      </description>

<servlet-class>com.mycompany.mypackage.ControllerServlet</servlet-class>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>listOrders</param-name>

<param-value>com.mycompany.myactions.ListOrdersAction</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>saveCustomer</param-name>

<param-value>com.mycompany.myactions.SaveCustomerAction</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <!-- Load this servlet at server startup time
-->
      <load-on-startup>5</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

    <servlet>
      <servlet-name>graph</servlet-name>
      <description>
        This servlet produces GIF images that are
dynamically generated
        graphs, based on the input parameters included
on the request.
        It is generally mapped to a specific request
URI like "/graph".
      </description>
    </servlet>

    <!-- Define mappings that are used by the servlet
container to
         translate a particular request URI
(context-relative) to a
         particular servlet.  The examples below
correspond to the
         servlet descriptions above.  Thus, a request
URI like:

           http://localhost:8080/{contextpath}/graph

         will be mapped to the "graph" servlet, while
a request like:

http://localhost:8080/{contextpath}/saveCustomer.do

         will be mapped to the "controller" servlet.

         You may define any number of servlet
mappings, including zero.
         It is also legal to define more than one
mapping for the same
         servlet, if you wish to.
    -->

    <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>controller</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>graph</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/graph</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <!-- Define the default session timeout for your
application,
         in minutes.  From a servlet or JSP page, you
can modify
         the timeout for a particular session
dynamically by using
         HttpSession.getMaxInactiveInterval(). -->

    <session-config>
      <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>    <!-- 30
minutes -->
    </session-config>

</web-app>