tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeffery Cann <j...@jefferycann.com>
Subject Enable Apache auto configure in Tomcat 4.1?
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:41:50 GMT
Greetings.

I am struggling to understand how to set up my server.xml for Tomcat 4.1.x to
build Apache configuration files for mod_jk automatically.

Under 'Using Tomcat auto-configure', the JK Apache How To
 <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html> reads:

"The simplest way to configure Apache to use mod_jk is to turn on the Apache
auto-configure setting in Tomcat and put the following include directive at
the end of your Apache httpd.conf file (make sure you replace TOMCAT_HOME
with the correct path for your Tomcat installation:

To be added at the end of your httpd.conf
Include /var/tomcat3/conf/jk/mod_jk.conf-auto

This will tell Apache to use directives in the mod_jk.conf-auto file in the
Apache configuration. This file is created by enabling the Apache
auto-configuration as described in the Tomcat documentation. "

Two problems with this statement:  1)  My tomcat installation is not producing
a mod_jk.conf-auto file because 2) the server.xml file is not enabled for
auto-configuration.

Unfortunately, the 'Tomcat Documentation' I could find for mod_jk seems to be
relevant to Tomcat 3.3.  The 'Enabling Tomcat's Apache Auto-Config' section,
published at:
<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/mod_jk-howto.html#s81>
reads:

"To configure Tomcat to generate the Apache auto-configuration add the
following block to your TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml file after <AutoWebApp
... />.

<ApacheConfig />

That's it, you can now start Tomcat and Apache and access Tomcat from the
Apache server. "

My tomcat 4.1 server.xml does not contain an AutoWebApp tag.  The server.xml
does not contain a DTD or XML schema so I can look up to see what the tag is
supposed to be.  In addition, the only documentation in the server.xml file
pertains to the (not working) mod_webapp connector.

So, can anyone please explain how I can enable apache auto-configure within my
Tomcat 4.1 server.xml file?  I appreciate any suggestions.

Jeffery Cann