tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <tcw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jasper vs Jasper2
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:40:00 GMT

I'll chime in on this, since I've done quite a bit of
benchmarking and testing with jasper & jasper2.

Kin-man, jan, remy and everyone else have made great
strides in improving jasper2 performance.

jasper1 had serious problems with tags, because it
generated deeply nested try/catch blocks. That cause
rapid degredation of performance and would limit the
number of concurrent requests to somewhere around 8
for a 750mhz pentium system.

the newer jasper2 performs 3-8x better depending on
the tags you use and how you use it. Does this mean
jasper2 is equal to servlet performance? Not quite,
there's always room for improvement.

If you want to help improve the performance, create
pages using servlets, jsp+scriplet and jsp+tags.
Profile the performance and post your findings.

If you use jsp tags, use jasper2. Hope that helps.

peter lin