tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jasper vs Jasper2
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:02:48 GMT

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Will Hartung wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:11:05 -0800
> From: Will Hartung <willh@msoft.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Jasper vs Jasper2
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just for clarity, if you will.
>
> I hear references to jasper and jasper2 vis-a-vis the JSP compiler/subsystem
> within Tomcat.

Jasper2 was a complete rewrite of the JSP page compiler.  It was
architected by someone who has built compilers for many years, and affords
the opportunity to generate *much* better code for a JSP page than the
original jasper compiler.

> I see commits against a jasper2 section when browsing tomcat-dev.
>
> My question is which jasper is in the current 4.1.x release?

Current 4.1.x releases (such as 4.1.18) include Jasper2.  Tomcat 5 does as
well, but it's a pretty different codebase to support all the new JSP 2.0
features.

> How are they different?
>
> Is it worth the pain to move to jasper2 for a production server (assuming
> that it's not already in 4.1.x)?

The performance improvements, especially on pages with lots of custom
tags, is so large that it's almost unbelievable.  If you're not using
scriptlets, Jasper2 also takes measures to get around the 64kb limit on a
method size that often bedeviled old jasper users.

> If it is worth the pain, how do I get it?

It's in 4.1.18.

> Thanx!
>
> Regards,
>
> Will Hartung