tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to specify a name for a content beeing served by s servlet
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:23:42 GMT

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Cédric Viaud wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:24:24 +0100
> From: Cédric Viaud <cedric.viaud@matrasi-tls.fr>
> To: Tomcat users <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: How to specify a name for a content beeing served by s servlet
>
> Hi,
>
> i would like to know if it is possible to indicate in the HTTP header of
> a response a name for a ressource.
>
> Let be a little clearer.
>
> I got a controler servlet wich map all request with "*.do". I check the
> URL use the name before the ".do" to know the command. For exemple, if
> the request is "getRequest.do", my servlet look for what to do with
> "getRequest".
>
> My problem is that i use this servlet to serve native contents (such as
> images, video, etc ...). On request like
> "getNativeContent.do?id=42135125", my servlet look for the native
> content of id=42135125, and send it back to the client. I set the
> correct "content-type" and use a ServletOutputStream to send binary
> content.
>
> It works fine, but i've got a light problem. It seem's that the content
> type is not always used by the client to know wich application must be
> run, but the file name is used (the extension of this filename). Or, the
> filename that the client see is "getNativeContent.do" and so the
> extension is "do". In this case, the user is prompted for which
> application must be associated with the ".do" extension. More that this,
> if the user want to save it to disk, the defaut name is
> "getNativeContent.do".
>
> Is there a way to indicate a name for the ressource beeing served to the
> client ? I've spent much time on the HTTP RFC, be i can't manage to find
> what i'm looking for.
>
> Sorry for my awfull English.

Various versions of Internet Explorer are particularly awful about
ignoring the Content-Type header.  However, you might want to look at the
Content-Disposition header in addition, so you can suggest a filename (and
let IE do it's assumptions based on the filename extension):

There are some security issues surrounding the use of Content-Disposition
-- for more info, see the HTTP/1.1 specification:

  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

> Regards,
>
>     Cédric

Craig