tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DTD for server.xml??
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:10:43 GMT

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Turner, John wrote:

> Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:31:16 -0500
> From: "Turner, John" <JTurner@AAS.com>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: DTD for server.xml??
>

> Hello -
>
> I notice that the top of web.xml has:

> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>      PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
>      "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
>
> yet the top of server.xml has nothing.
>
> I'm very new to XML, so forgive me if this is a lame or FA question, but is
> there a DTD for server.xml?  If so, why isn't it specified in server.xml,
> and what is the URL?  Is server.xml "real, official XML" or just
> "convenience" XML?

There is no DTD for server.xml because there cannot be.

The problem is that server.xml is extensible -- for example, the set of
attributes recognized by a <Valve> or <Context> element depends on the
implementation class of the internal component that corresponds to it.
The startup process uses Java reflection to match them up to property
setters on the corresponding beans.  There is no way to express this kind
of thing in a DTD.

Your server.xml is (and must be) "well formed" XML.  It just cannot be
validated.

> - John

Craig