tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rasputin <raspu...@idoru.mine.nu>
Subject Re: JDBCRealm
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 00:25:03 GMT
* Rob Abernethy IV <abernethy@dynedge.com> [0154 21:54]:
> OK. I was able to get clear-text passwords to work, but I still can't get
> encrypted passwords to work.  Using MD5 encryption, Tomcat is able to
> successfully open a connection to the database using the JDBCRealm set up in
> the server.xml, but it is unable to authenticate users for the admin web app.
>  I am using the same username and password (username = "tomcat", password =
> "tomcat") for both the JDBCRealm and the admin web app.
>
> JDBCRealm:
> <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
>        driverName="org.postgresql.Driver"
>     connectionURL="jdbc:postgresql://bilbo.dynedge.com/template1"
>    connectionName="abernethy" connectionPassword="gceIlu4DaR"
>         userTable="pg_shadow" userNameCol="usename" userCredCol="passwd"
>     userRoleTable="pg_groupview" roleNameCol="groname"
>            digest="MD5" />
> pg_shadow:
> usename  | passwd
> tomcat   | md5efcc1c51a80be13b59cdb96d758a0184

You are confusing postgres usernames/passwords with the ones you want in the tables.
Tomcat connects to the database as user connectionName , password connectionPassword

and looks up http authentication users and passwords in userTable  and userRoleTable.

It looks from your post like you have that backwards (pg_shadow holds postgres users, not
users
for your apps).