tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tomcat manager servlet
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:34:06 GMT

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Erik Weibust wrote:

> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:05:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: Erik Weibust <eweibust@yahoo.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: tomcat manager servlet
>
> i am having problems grasping the differences between
> the manager functions install, deploy, remove, and
> undeploy.  when would someone use install over deploy?
>  is the only difference between remove and undeploy
> the fact that your files will be removed from the
> system with undeploy?

DEPLOY -- uploads a WAR to a (possibly remote) Tomcat installation.  With
recent 4.1 releases, you can include a "META-INF/context.xml" file
containing the <Context> element (from server.xml) if you need to override
the defaults.

INSTALL -- immediately deploys a local WAR or directory.  Will generally
be faster, but must be on the same server.  I tend to use this for
development because I run Tomcat on my desktop PC.

UNDEPLOY -- Use if you did a DEPLOY.

REMOVE -- Use if you did an INSTALL.

> thanks,
> erik