tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Gerdau" <...@technosis.de>
Subject Strange behaviour of Tomcat classloader
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:21:02 GMT
Hi !

I've come across an IMO strange behaviour of the Tomcat classloader
and would like to ask, wether this is intended and if yes why it is
that way.

I'm having a struts based webapp running under Tomcat 4.1.18
The webapp makes use of a DB2 database via commons-dbcp.jar
which comes with struts.
The db2java.jar (containing the DB2 JDBC driver) has been put
into the shared/lib directory.

So far so good.

I recently removed from the webapps lib dir the common-*.jar files
that are made public by tomcat in the common/lib dir, among them
commons-dbcp.jar.

After doing so Tomcat could no longer load the DB2 JDBC driver
(which are in shared/lib). After copying them to commons/lib it
once again worked.

However when I once again copy commons-dbcp.jar into the webapps
lib dir then loading the DB2 JDBC driver from shared/lib works.

My understanding is, that the DB2 JDBC driver is loaded by the
webapplication. However once the commons-dbcp.jar from the common/lib
dir has been loaded and utilized then all at a sudden shared/lib
seems no longer part of the searchpath. But when commons-dbcp.jar
is taken from the webapps lib dir then shared/lib obviously still
is in the search path.

Is this intended ?
And why ?

Thank you, best,