tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 17:26:41 GMT

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Turner, John wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 08:05:18 -0500
> From: "Turner, John" <JTurner@AAS.com>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: can tomcat do dynamic virtual hosts?
>

> Since a virtual host in Tomcat requires a Host element in server.xml, that
> means a restart.

In 4.1, at least for Tomcat standalone, this is not actually required --
for example, you can add new hosts (and the corresponding contexts)
through the admin webapp and it becomes effective immediately without a
restart.  I don't know how that impacts the web server connectors though
(since I never use them).

>  If you use the ApacheConfig option for JK, adding the new
> Host is picked up automatically , and the corresponding Apache config
> directives are generated.  Then a "/path/to/apache/bin/apachectl graceful"
> will pick those up without effecting other requests.
>
> How do you envision dynamic virtual hosts working?  I think it's a huge
> issue, not only from a usage POV, but from a design/architecture POV.  I
> doubt doing this is trivial, but I'm no developer so maybe it is.  In any
> case, I'm sure tomcat-dev would have better answers, suggestions or
> guidance.
>
> John

Craig