tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re[2]: [BULK] - Tomcat 4x Classloading
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:50:42 GMT
Hello Sankaranarayanan,

This shouldn't be true.  Apps cannot see the system classpath at all.
Only Tomcat sees that at startup.  Webapps will only see classes in
WEB-INF/lib, WEB-INF/classes, common/endorsed, common/lib,
common/classes, shared/lib, and shared/classes.  Tomcat, itself, also
sees stuff in server/lib and server/classes.

So, if your webapp is actually seeing something set on your system
classpath, then that would be a huge bug in Tomcat as it is designed
to insulate your apps from the classpath entirely.

Jake

SGG> Has anybody seen this as well?

SGG> Any response will be greatly appreicated!

SGG> Thanx
SGG> Ganesh

to the web application class files. i.e if I had a web application class file in my CLASSPATH
and well as my
SGG> web application class repository (WEB-INF/classes) - the one in the system CLASSPATH
is what is loaded.

SGG> I looked at the source of the web application class loader - I see that the system
classloader is first given a chance to find the class file - to prevent the user from overriding
the standard
SGG> J2SE classes.

SGG> This is contrary to what the documentation in the apache site says. I have included
the relevant portions with this mail.

SGG> Am I missing something here?

SGG> --Ganesh

SGG> When a request to load a class from the web application's WebappX class loader is
processed, this class loader will look in the local repositories first, instead of delegating
before looking.
SGG> All other class loaders in Tomcat 4 follow the usual delegation pattern.
SGG> Therefore, from the perspective of a web application, class or resource loading looks
in the following repositories, in this order:
SGG> *       /WEB-INF/classes of your web application
SGG> *       /WEB-INF/lib/*.jar of your web application
SGG> *       Bootstrap classes of your JVM
SGG> *       System class loader classses (described above)
SGG> *       $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes
SGG> *       $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed/*.jar
SGG> *       $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/*.jar
SGG> *       $CATALINA_HOME/shared/classes
SGG> *       $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib/*.jar

SGG> --