tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re[4]: [BULK] - Tomcat 4x Classloading
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:41:21 GMT
Hello Will,

Thanks for the clarification.

So, if one starts Tomcat as an NT servive which doesn't run through a
script, the system classpath will be fully seen by Tomcat?  Ok, well,
that still doesn't cause problems for me because I put next to nothing
on the system classpath.  I always make each program determine what it
wants its classpath to be.  I only put enough on the classpath to
allow Jikes to work without having to provide tools.jar and such every
time I want to run it.

Jake

>> This shouldn't be true.  Apps cannot see the system classpath at all.
>> Only Tomcat sees that at startup.  Webapps will only see classes in
>> WEB-INF/lib, WEB-INF/classes, common/endorsed, common/lib,
>> common/classes, shared/lib, and shared/classes.  Tomcat, itself, also
>> sees stuff in server/lib and server/classes.

WH> No Jacob, that's not true.

WH> Classes within the Tomcat container have full visibility of the system
WH> classpath. The startup scripts, however, ignore the CLASSPATH environment
WH> variable on start up which gives the illusion that Tomcat is not seeing
WH> those classes.

WH> The reason it's not seeing those classes is because of the actions of the
WH> startup script, not because of the Tomcat container itself. All of the
WH> classloaders descend from the original classloader used to fire up the
WH> Tomcat bootstrap.

WH> So, if you start Tomcat up without the provided scripts, or change the
WH> scripts to manipulate the CLASSPATH for the JVM, your classes will be able
WH> to see those classes.

WH> Regards,

WH> Will Hartung
WH> (willh@msoft.com)