tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tom Holmes Jr." <tomhol...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 02:36:26 GMT
Hi Chris, I am afraid we have two seperate issues.  It seems like I solved
your issues a few days ago and have a few new ones to work out.  If you need
any more help, send me a message directly and I will see how I can help.
However, it seems so far that the answers you have already got will work.

My issue is a little different, I have 3 virtual hosts and 3 different
web-apps defined under httpd.conf, and I have 3 different <Host> and
<Context> tags in server.xml.  The JSP pages ONLY work with the last web-app
defined.  What I mean by 'works' is that the JSP pages get compiled into
servlets, and then get served correctly by performing the business logic.

Any other web-apps defined in the httpd.conf file do not work.  What I mean
by they 'do not work' is that the JSP pages do not get compiled into
servlets, and do not execuet the business logic.  Instead the JSP code shows
up clear as day as if you were opening a text file.  This is a major
security problem, and I thought it was fixed.

I've posted this issue at least on 3 different occasions now with no answers
from anyone.  It could be because this issue only happens on a Windows
platform?   I guess my next step is to test out this problem on Red Hat 8.0
Linux.   If I can duplicate the same problem on that platform, I bet it will
expedite a fix.  Of course, if this isn't a bug in Tomcat, then I'd expect
someone would point out that my configuration is wrong ... but that hasn't
happened yet.

Thanks.

                      Tom


----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Schild" <chris.schild@corridortechnology.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: Virtual Hosts


> Does any know what would cause this message:
> Directory index forbidden by rule: C:\apache\qv
>
>
> This is when I go the url http://mydomain.com/examples
> http://mydomain.com/examples/jsp/index.html works just fine....
>
>
> I'm having the same problem.  In the log files apache2/logs/COM_error_log
I
> get a:  Directory index forbidden by rule: ????  Is there a definition in
> http.conf that I need to alter???
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Ruffin" <JRuffin@NovaFactor.com>
> To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:42 PM
> Subject: RE: Virtual Hosts
>
>
> > I'm having a similar issue.  I'm running tc4.1.18 on w2k server.
> > http://localhost/examples works but http://mysite.com/examples doesn't.
I
> > searched the archives and found some information on creating a host file
> > with the FQDN as the name but that didn't seem to work.  Is there
> something
> > else I need to change?  Do I need to configure my firewall || router to
> let
> > additional ports through?  Right now, port:80 (http) serves static
content
> > with no problem.
> >
> > I'm new - thanks for your help.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Chris Schild [mailto:chris.schild@corridortechnology.com]
> > Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 1:16 PM
> > To: Tomcat Users List
> > Cc: tomholmes@attbi.com
> > Subject: Re: Virtual Hosts
> >
> >
> > Tom,
> > I could possibly use some of the information.  I am running on the same
> > releases: Apache 2.0.43, Tomcat 4.1.18 & win2k.
> > My problem is that I can't get to the directory of my virtualHosts.
> >
> > e.g. http://localhost/examples is not a problem BUT
> > http://mysite.com/examples will not work.  I just noticed an err in the
> log
> > saying -
> > Directory index forbidden by rule: C:/Apache/Tomcat4.1/path/to/examples
> >
> > Can't find where to make my edits so the directory can be seen.
> >
> > Maybe this is a related issue?  Either way if you know how to configure
> the
> > systems so that the directory will be shown, I would much appreciated
it!
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Tom Holmes Jr." <tomholmes@attbi.com>
> > To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 11:37 PM
> > Subject: Virtual Hosts
> >
> >
> > > I have finally discovered the problem on why some of my web-apps are
> > working
> > > and some are not ... it is either my configuration or a MAJOR SERIOUS
> BUG
> > > with Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.18 on Windows 2000.
> > >
> > > I have included a copy of my httpd.conf file because it is the only
one
> > that
> > > matters here.  The server.xml file has one <Engine> tag and then it
has
> 4
> > > different <Host> tags with 1 <Context> for each virtual host.
> > >
> > > When we have two virtual host/web-apps listed below ONLY the JSP pages
> > work
> > > for the second web-app.  They do NOT work for the first web-app
listed.
> > If
> > > I flip these virtual hosts around and then restart the Apache/Tomcat
> > server,
> > > then the opposite is true.  I then tried 3 web-apps and again ... ONLY
> the
> > > last web-app works and the JSP pages are correctly served.
> > >
> > > If anyone needs the other files:  jk2.properties or
workers2.properites
> or
> > > server.xml, please let me know and I can provide them.  I am sure that
> > these
> > > files are ok.  Switching the <Host> tags around in the <Engine>
tag
did
> > not
> > > seem to have any effect.
> > >
> > > I may try this same configuration on my Red Hat Linux 8.0 box and see
if
> > the
> > > same problem happens.  At least that way I could say the problem is
> > > cross-platform or just limitations on the Windows 2000 versions.
> > >
> > > If I can be of any help, or if you need any more information, please
let
> > me
> > > know.  I ask that someone please look at this issue and my
configuration
> > and
> > > recommend a solution.   I really want to use Apache and Tomcat
together,
> > but
> > > this is incredibly frustrating and should not be a problem.   Thanks.
> > >
> > >                   Tom
> > >
> > > <VirtualHost *>
> > >  ServerName test.tomholmes.net
> > >  ServerAdmin tomholmes@attbi.com
> > >  DocumentRoot d:/web_software/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/wwwroot/test
> > >  <Location "/*.jsp">
> > >   JkUriSet worker ajp13:localhost:8009
> > >  </Location>
> > >  ErrorLog logs/test-error_log
> > >  CustomLog logs/test-access_log common
> > >  DirectoryIndex default.jsp index.jsp
> > > </VirtualHost>
> > >
> > > <VirtualHost *>
> > >  ServerName meditech.tomholmes.net
> > >  ServerAdmin tomholmes@attbi.com
> > >  DocumentRoot d:/web_software/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/wwwroot/meditech
> > >  <Location "/*.jsp">
> > >   JkUriSet uri meditech.tomholmes.net
> > >   JkUriSet worker ajp13:localhost:8009
> > >  </Location>
> > >  ErrorLog logs/meditech-error_log
> > >  CustomLog logs/meditech-access_log common
> > >  DirectoryIndex default.jsp
> > > </VirtualHost>
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> > ----
> >
> >
> > > --
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> >
> > --
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> >
> > ************************************************************
> > The information in this email is confidential and may be
> > legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee,
> > and access by anyone else is unauthorized.
> >
> > If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> > copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
> > taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> >
> > If you believe that you have received this email in error,
> > please advise us by calling (901) 385 3688, or emailing
> > mailgateway@accredohealth.net, and then delete this message
> > and all copies and backups thereof. Thank you.
> > ************************************************************
> >
> >
> > --
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris Schild" <chris.schild@corridortechnology.com>
> To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 4:21 PM
> Subject: Re: Virtual Hosts
>
>
> > I'm having the same problem.  In the log files
apache2/logs/COM_error_log
> I
> > get a:  Directory index forbidden by rule: ????  Is there a definition
in
> > http.conf that I need to alter???
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "John Ruffin" <JRuffin@NovaFactor.com>
> > To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:42 PM
> > Subject: RE: Virtual Hosts
> >
> >
> > > I'm having a similar issue.  I'm running tc4.1.18 on w2k server.
> > > http://localhost/examples works but http://mysite.com/examples
doesn't.
> I
> > > searched the archives and found some information on creating a host
file
> > > with the FQDN as the name but that didn't seem to work.  Is there
> > something
> > > else I need to change?  Do I need to configure my firewall || router
to
> > let
> > > additional ports through?  Right now, port:80 (http) serves static
> content
> > > with no problem.
> > >
> > > I'm new - thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Chris Schild [mailto:chris.schild@corridortechnology.com]
> > > Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 1:16 PM
> > > To: Tomcat Users List
> > > Cc: tomholmes@attbi.com
> > > Subject: Re: Virtual Hosts
> > >
> > >
> > > Tom,
> > > I could possibly use some of the information.  I am running on the
same
> > > releases: Apache 2.0.43, Tomcat 4.1.18 & win2k.
> > > My problem is that I can't get to the directory of my virtualHosts.
> > >
> > > e.g. http://localhost/examples is not a problem BUT
> > > http://mysite.com/examples will not work.  I just noticed an err in
the
> > log
> > > saying -
> > > Directory index forbidden by rule:
C:/Apache/Tomcat4.1/path/to/examples
> > >
> > > Can't find where to make my edits so the directory can be seen.
> > >
> > > Maybe this is a related issue?  Either way if you know how to
configure
> > the
> > > systems so that the directory will be shown, I would much appreciated
> it!
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: "Tom Holmes Jr." <tomholmes@attbi.com>
> > > To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 11:37 PM
> > > Subject: Virtual Hosts
> > >
> > >
> > > > I have finally discovered the problem on why some of my web-apps are
> > > working
> > > > and some are not ... it is either my configuration or a MAJOR
SERIOUS
> > BUG
> > > > with Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.18 on Windows 2000.
> > > >
> > > > I have included a copy of my httpd.conf file because it is the only
> one
> > > that
> > > > matters here.  The server.xml file has one <Engine> tag and then
it
> has
> > 4
> > > > different <Host> tags with 1 <Context> for each virtual host.
> > > >
> > > > When we have two virtual host/web-apps listed below ONLY the JSP
pages
> > > work
> > > > for the second web-app.  They do NOT work for the first web-app
> listed.
> > > If
> > > > I flip these virtual hosts around and then restart the Apache/Tomcat
> > > server,
> > > > then the opposite is true.  I then tried 3 web-apps and again ...
ONLY
> > the
> > > > last web-app works and the JSP pages are correctly served.
> > > >
> > > > If anyone needs the other files:  jk2.properties or
> workers2.properites
> > or
> > > > server.xml, please let me know and I can provide them.  I am sure
that
> > > these
> > > > files are ok.  Switching the <Host> tags around in the <Engine>
tag
> did
> > > not
> > > > seem to have any effect.
> > > >
> > > > I may try this same configuration on my Red Hat Linux 8.0 box and
see
> if
> > > the
> > > > same problem happens.  At least that way I could say the problem is
> > > > cross-platform or just limitations on the Windows 2000 versions.
> > > >
> > > > If I can be of any help, or if you need any more information, please
> let
> > > me
> > > > know.  I ask that someone please look at this issue and my
> configuration
> > > and
> > > > recommend a solution.   I really want to use Apache and Tomcat
> together,
> > > but
> > > > this is incredibly frustrating and should not be a problem.
Thanks.
> > > >
> > > >                   Tom
> > > >
> > > > <VirtualHost *>
> > > >  ServerName test.tomholmes.net
> > > >  ServerAdmin tomholmes@attbi.com
> > > >  DocumentRoot d:/web_software/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/wwwroot/test
> > > >  <Location "/*.jsp">
> > > >   JkUriSet worker ajp13:localhost:8009
> > > >  </Location>
> > > >  ErrorLog logs/test-error_log
> > > >  CustomLog logs/test-access_log common
> > > >  DirectoryIndex default.jsp index.jsp
> > > > </VirtualHost>
> > > >
> > > > <VirtualHost *>
> > > >  ServerName meditech.tomholmes.net
> > > >  ServerAdmin tomholmes@attbi.com
> > > >  DocumentRoot d:/web_software/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/wwwroot/meditech
> > > >  <Location "/*.jsp">
> > > >   JkUriSet uri meditech.tomholmes.net
> > > >   JkUriSet worker ajp13:localhost:8009
> > > >  </Location>
> > > >  ErrorLog logs/meditech-error_log
> > > >  CustomLog logs/meditech-access_log common
> > > >  DirectoryIndex default.jsp
> > > > </VirtualHost>
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > --
> > > ----
> > >
> > >
> > > > --
> > > > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> > >
> > > ************************************************************
> > > The information in this email is confidential and may be
> > > legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee,
> > > and access by anyone else is unauthorized.
> > >
> > > If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> > > copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
> > > taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> > >
> > > If you believe that you have received this email in error,
> > > please advise us by calling (901) 385 3688, or emailing
> > > mailgateway@accredohealth.net, and then delete this message
> > > and all copies and backups thereof. Thank you.
> > > ************************************************************
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> >
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
<mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message