tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Cédric Viaud <cedric.vi...@matrasi-tls.fr>
Subject How to specify a name for a content beeing served by s servlet
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:24:24 GMT
Hi,

i would like to know if it is possible to indicate in the HTTP header of a response a name
for a ressource.

Let be a little clearer.

I got a controler servlet wich map all request with "*.do". I check the URL use the name before
the ".do" to know the command.
For exemple, if the request is "getRequest.do", my servlet look for what to do with "getRequest".

My problem is that i use this servlet to serve native contents (such as images, video, etc
...). On request like "getNativeContent.do?id=42135125", my servlet look for the native content
of id=42135125, and send it back to the client. I set the correct "content-type" and use a
ServletOutputStream to send binary content.

It works fine, but i've got a light problem. It seem's that the content type is not always
used by the client to know wich application must be run, but the file name is used (the extension
of this filename). Or, the filename that the client see is "getNativeContent.do" and so the
extension is "do". In this case, the user is prompted for which application must be associated
with the ".do" extension. More that this, if the user want to save it to disk, the defaut
name is "getNativeContent.do".

Is there a way to indicate a name for the ressource beeing served to the client ? I've spent
much time on the HTTP RFC, be i can't manage to find what i'm looking for.

Sorry for my awfull English.

Regards,

    Cédric