tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Will Hartung" <wi...@msoft.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat default directory for servlets
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:59:28 GMT

Granted, but it's also a fine line between trying to get marginal success
for the user quickly and then moving them forward to a best practice. Having
to jump through the hoops to get a simple HelloWorld servlet working is like
having to write a Makefile first to compile hello.c.

One of the complaints about J2EE is simply that it's pretty darn wordy to
get all of this stuff set up. Once you hurdle the burden of all of the
boiler plate, then development can be fairly straightforoward. But having to
create the web.xml, the servlet.java, the servlet.class, AND put them in the
Right Places (i.e. a WAR structure) is quite a bit to do to simply get Hello
World.

Now, in time, of course, all of this minutae needs to be understood and
appreciated. How many questions are answered here that are pretty black and
white in the servlet spec, for example.

IMHO, the book should have provided their own skeletal webapp that has all
of the boiler plate written for the user in order to get their test
servlet(s) up and running quickly, and also to confirm the users Tomcat
installation.

The other benefit, of course, is that the webapp path is more portable than
simply the Tomcat extensions path.

The challenge is to get good, solid, and quick, success for the user and
then migrate them smoothly from the hand holding that the original skeleton
gave them to creating, managing and taking responsibility for these
attributes on their own.

But book authors are as lazy as the rest of us, so far be it for me to cast
the first stone...

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)