tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Hemingway" <dbh...@kooee.com.au>
Subject Urgent problem with Singleton
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:49:35 GMT
Hi,

I have a task scheduler thread that implements ServletContextListener and starts up as a listener
with the following code from my web.xml:

<listener>
        <listener-class>
                mypackage.MyServlet
        </listener-class>
</listener>

My problem is however I need this to be a singleton, its imperative. There always seems to
be about 3 threads created though. I have tried numerous things including making this servlet
call a singleton class to do the task scheduling but it still ends up with 3 threads. This
is causing terrible concurrency problems that wouldn't exist if this was working properly.
My serlvet code currently resembles the following:

boolean hasBeenInitialized = false;

 public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce)
 {
    if(!hasBeenInitialized)
    {
        //Start up the task scheduler thread
        hasBeenInitialized = true;
    }
}

I am using Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 under RedHat 7.3. I didn't have this problem under
wn32 only Linux. Any help, or ideas on how I can get this to be a single instance would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you

regards,
Dave