tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "karthikeyan.balasubramanian" <karthikeyan.balasubraman...@aspiresys.com>
Subject Re: running tomcat as a non-root user?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:25:19 GMT
Thanks.

I think you can use "sudo" for this job.

Karthikeyan.
----- Original Message -----
From: "waimun" <dev@waimun.net>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: running tomcat as a non-root user?

> Hi Karthikeyan:
> What I did was basically following those previous mails' help hints.
First, I created a directory base for my tomcat files, using that I created
a tomcat user for that and disable shell access also since I feel that it's
not needed. Following that, I fire up the tomcat thru startup.sh as usual
(su and/or login); take note also that if you are binding to port80 or
<1024, then you'll still root access [this is also highlighted by the
replies]. Of course, if you want more customization, you can then create the
rc"s, and I think that was also mentioned in one of the contributors