tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Simmons" <deri...@arcor.de>
Subject Single Servlet vs Multiple Servlet
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:08:45 GMT
Greetings,

I am developing a pretty rich web application that will be served by Java servlets. The question
to me right now is If I want to go with single or multiple servlets.

In all there will be about 50 commands that can be done to this servlet. If I put them all
in one file it would violate my sense of object oriented engineering. So I thought of either
making the various commands actually be in different classes and the servlet routing the requests
to the proper command. The alternative is to make individual command servlets that have a
common base class and sit on separate URLs.

The problem with option two is that the servlet connects to EJB on the back end and could
potentially hold onto allot of resources. The problem with option two, possibly, is federation.
If there are hundreds of requests coming, will tomcat federate the servlet or pipe everything
through one hole?

Comments?