tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey Winter" <jeffreywin...@attbi.com>
Subject Servlet Mapping Strategy w/ user-specific URLs
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:12:50 GMT
I would like to have a url structure of the form:

    myplace.com/user/xxx/resource/yyy

where "user" and "resource"

are handled by individual servlets.  I would like users to have the ability to POST
there username/password to /user and have it respond with their personal
url, e.g.:

    /user/some-user

A "UserServlet" would be responsible to setting up the appropriate authentication,
so that they could GET/POST (assuming proper authentication) to

    /user/some-user/resource

Is it possible to setup a servlet mapping such that a UserServlet handles
requests to /user/xxx, but a ResourceServlet handles requests to
/user/xxx/resource/yyy?

I can't think of how to do this and am currently planning on using mod_rewrite
to rewrite the urls as appropriate since I have Apache 2 sitting in front of
Tomcat.

Is there perhaps a better way of handling this that I haven't considered?  That
is, perhaps taking advantage of some aspect of Apache itself that I haven't thought of?

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

- Jeff