tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark <garde...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Help with Tomcat 4.1 installation please?
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 06:48:26 GMT
Hi, I am attempting to install and run Tomcat 4.1 on my Windows XP system.  I have followed
the instructions as far as:
  1. Downloading and installing J2SDK 1.4.1_01
  2. Setting the CATALINA_HOME variable to c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
  3. Setting the JAVA_HOME variable to c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
  4. Including %JAVA_HOME%\bin in the PATH variable.
  5. Restarting the computer.

Problem: When I click on the Start Tomcat icon, a window appears, a listing appears briefly
in the window and then the window quickly disappears.

At the command prompt, I get the following listing for the startup command and the shutdown
commands:

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin>startup
Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin>shutdown
Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:581)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin>

I'm not sure what's really supposed to happen at this point, but something doesn't seem right.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark Steere
gardener@sbcglobal.net