tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Troy J. Kelley" <tkel...@e-gineering.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.x and Java Processes
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 20:07:03 GMT
I've been looking all over for the answer to this and can't seem to find
a good answer.

My basic question is that when I start up a *very* basic tomcat config
(JMX Support, HTTP Listener, one engine, one host, once context) I get
several java processes that look the same:

root      5865  0.0  5.7 227380 29548 ?      S    15:02   0:02
/usr/java/jdk/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs= -classpath
/usr/java/jdk/lib/tools.jar:/var/tomcat4/bin/bootstrap.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/var/tomcat4 -Dcatalina.home=/var/tomcat4
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/tomcat4/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
start

So, why are there so many processes?  I set minProcessors="1"
maxProcessors="1" for the Coyote HTTP connector to reduce the number of
JVMs related to this...

In the WebSphere world a JVM is synonymous with an "Application Server",
which services the requests for the modules (WAR/EAR) "installed" into
the appserver.

-Troy
tkelley@e-gineering.com