tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Clive De Silva" <c...@dcs.qmul.ac.uk>
Subject Re: saving and opening files
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:57:49 GMT
Hey all - the mystery is now over - I did another search and found a file
in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Clive\Start Menu\Programs\Apache Tomcat 4.1

Clearly when i searched, i didnt check documents and settings  -

Now, when file is created, it thinks it is saved at C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Tomcat  but I guess Win2K saves under different profiles - weird! Well
thank you for all the help on this topic - much appreciated!! I may have to
resort to absolute paths.

Regards and best wishes,

Clive De Silva

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stratmann, Holger" <holger@cassiopeia.de>
To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <cds1@dcs.qmul.ac.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 12:50 PM
Subject: AW: saving and opening files

> Hi - just tried your suggestion and it returns:
> I'm file2 and I am at C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
> 4.1\states.gip
> - and guess what, it is not there!Any other ideas? ;-)

Well... that's the point where it's getting "weird".

I'm quite confident that my answer was the correct one - if the file gives
you its absolute path, then that's where it should be (and on top of that,
it's in the directory from which the JVM was started, as I had expected).

I'm sure this will turn out to be some "funny" thing ;-)

I'm sure you've already searched the entire C-drive for it?

Try if Java finds it:

File file2 = new java.io.File("states.gip");
String path = file2.getAbsolutePath();
File testfile = new File(path);
if (testfile.exists()) {
System.out.println("file found at " + path);
} else {
System.out.println("file was supposed to be at " + path + " but
isn't!");
}

If this code finds your file, then don't tell me it's not there :-)))))
Just go look again and again and again ;-)

By the way:
* "exists()" is a better way of checking for a file than catching the
exception...
* FileInputStream() doesn't need a file, it's also happy with a path:
  As soon as you've found out where the file is *g*, you can simplify it to
be:
  ObjectInputStream s1 = new ObjectInputStream(new
FileInputStream("states.gip"));

Looking forward to the solution for this one :-)

Holger

For additional commands, e-mail:

---